Tuesday, May 1, 2007

the shock hits

Things were crazy at work yesterday. People react fast. My phone was ringing off the hook with people looking for carpools and other options to get to work. And, of course, everyone was asking me why gas prices are so high and how long it was going to last. My general sense from these conversations is that the public blame the government, at least here. Big surprise. They feel that somebody should have done something to prevent this. When will people start taking responsibility for themselves and realize that they are the ones who should do something?

I almost lost it with one guy who just wouldn't shut up about how angry he is with the government and the oil companies. "It's just stealing," he kept saying; "I don't know how I'm gonna get to work. They're just stealing from us. Everybody's got a right to get around." I wanted to scream. What about refugees? Citizens in the old Soviet Union? People in war zones? Most people throughout history did not have the right to "get around." It's not a basic human right, and it's not necessary for life--not even quality of life. Wake up and see the world, man. We in America have plenty of room to fall and still be comfortable.

But I was a little startled when I couldn't get biodiesel last night. Our source sold out. He said he'll be making more this week. It's all right; I really don't need it. But it was a bit of a surprise.

I guess there was a part of me that thought we were well enough prepared that we wouldn't really have to deal with much more than inconvenience. Everyone else will be shocked, but we would just be entertained. And, well, that might be true. Or it might be really bad for everyone, even those of us who knew it was coming and had time to prepare.

I'm taking my bike in to work today--that's all the mobility I really need.

No comments: